Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on April 10th.
Interviews will be held on April 11th and 12th. You will be contacted with your interview time on April 10th.
“Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can’t see from the centre.”
– Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Whether you’ve contributed previously or not, the mitZine wants you if you are a creative and dedicated individual who wants to push the boundaries of journalism.
You may apply for a max 3 of the following positions: Managing, Print, Online, Creative
If you have any questions, email them to email@example.com
The mitZine Managing Editor will work with the Editor-in-Chief to direct the vision of the mitZine and lead a dedicated and creative group of editors and contributors. The primary responsibility of the Managing Editor will be to manage staff writers and specialized correspondents, as well as a pool of willing and talented contributors. Must be a strong leader with a passion for the Zine’s vision and success on campus.
The mitZine is experiencing unprecedented growth and must build on the successes of the past in order to secure to the future. In keeping with that spirit, the implementation of section editors will continue next year but with refined, and in some cases, expanded roles to play in leading a team of volunteer contributors and staff writers to deliver thoughtful and well-executed articles. Must have an eye for detail, as well as be dedicated and able to provide exciting and engaging story ideas.
WORLD (Canada and the world, politics, economics)
A&E (arts, entertainment, technology, culture)
WESTERN LIFE (FIMS, student life, university politics)
PROMOTIONS COORDINATOR (Networking with the street team, social media, promotions)
GRAPHICS EDITOR (Layout the articles and graphics in the mitZine. Must be familiar with Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
WEB (mitZine Online content)
ASSISTANT WEB EDITOR
PART I: WHO ARE YOU?
Please provide the following:
- Your name
- Positions you are applying for
- (If Editorial Team, rank your top 3)
- Preferred e-mail address and phone number
- Availability on April 11th and 12th for 15-minute interview
PART II: WHY ARE YOU HERE?
- Why do you want the position you are applying for, and what relevant experience do you have?
- In your opinion, what is/should be the purpose of the mitZine?
- What do you think the mitZine needs to do better and how would you go about fixing it?
- Editorial Team and Managing Editor ONLY:
- “Writers are, in a way, very powerful indeed. They write the script for the reality film.” – William S. Burroughs
Explain why, in 75-100 words, journalists should or should not guide public opinion, or as Burroughs said, “write the script for the reality film.”
- Include an example of relevant previous work (essay, review, article, etc.)
- Graphics Editor ONLY:
- Provide a one page magazine-style layout answering the previous questions (1-3). Must be 8.5 x 11, attach as a PDF and use photos, text, and graphics of your own design.