Email applications to email@example.com by 6 pm on April 16th.
Interviews will be held on April 17th and 18th. You will be contacted with your interview time on April 16th.
We are looking for a dedicated team to continue to expand the reach and impact of OPENWIDE for the upcoming year. Interested in pushing the avant-garde and keeping the FIMS and UWO community creatively informed and connected? Then go forth, and apply today.
You may apply for a max 3 of the following positions: Managing, Print, Creative, Online
If you have any questions, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
A leadership role with the purpose of assisting the editor-in-chief to direct the vision and operations of OPENWIDE. Involves coordinating the editorial team, as well as staff writers and contributors.
Section editors must be strong writers, have an eye for detail and be able to work well in a team environment. They must be able to generate relevant and interesting content. The following sections are available:
WORLD: Canada and the world, politics, economics
A&E: arts, entertainment, technology, culture
WESTERN LIFE: FIMS, student life, university politics
Graphics Editor: Responsible for handling the graphics content and layout for OPENWIDE in print. Will also work closely with the web editor to co-produce online graphical content. Mandatory experience in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
Marketing Coordinator: Responsible for networking; coordinating OPENWIDE’s social media presence (along with the web editor), connecting with the street team, and linking OPENWIDE to the community. Will coordinate promotions/advertising, and play a prominent role with any OPENWIDE community-related events.
Web Editor: Producing the content for the OPENWIDE’s online section. Includes transferring print content to online form, as well as publishing/formatting online stories and advertisements. Will work with the graphics editor for online graphical content, and the marketing coordinator for the social media content.
Assistant web editor: Assisting the web editor with maintaining online content. Must be cooperative in a group setting.
PART I: WHO ARE YOU?
Please provide the following:
- Your name
- Your year of study
- Positions you are applying for
- (If Editorial Team, rank your top 3)
- Preferred e-mail address and phone number
- Availability on April 17th and 18h for 15-minute interview
PART II: WHAT ARE YOU ALL ABOUT?
- What prior experience/qualifications do you have that would help you excel in each position you have applied for? (Point form is fine).
- In your opinion, what is/should be the purpose of the OPENWIDE?
- Would like to see OPENWIDE take a new direction in the upcoming year? If yes, explain why, and if not, explain why you think the current structure is a strong one.
Editorial Team and Managing Editor ONLY:
- Stephen Ward, in The Invention of Journalism Ethics, says that facts are but a “small part of our corpus of knowledge.” He notes that journalism, particularly online, has transitioned into a style that increasingly interjects opinion, “a more interpretive stance towards stories.
Do you think that this been detrimental to journalism? A positive change? Or both? (300 words or less)
- Stephen Ward calls for journalists to be “catalysts of public discussion” rather than detached, impartial observers.
In 150 words or less, agree or disagree.
- Please attach a short sample of your written work. Please avoid lengthy essays – concise is better. Written responses, articles, etc. are all acceptable. Applicants for the Online positions are encouraged to attach a sample page from a personal web design project, or a screenshot from a personal website or blog (please note that this is not mandatory).
- Graphics Editor ONLY:
TAKE A LEAP
This photograph of artist Yves Klein shows him taking a “Leap Into the Void”, consequently the title of the work. In a one-page magazine 8.5×11 layout, tell us how your contribution as graphics editor will help OPENWIDE make a leap of its own and answer the questions in part 1 and 2. Incorporate this image in your layout, the title “Take a Leap”, and well as any other images and graphics you find appropriate.